Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Into the Wild, Review

I just read Jon Krakauer’s, Into the Wild. Good book. It’s about a 20-something year old, McCandless, who has a falling out with his parents and society and tries to live off the land. His biggest challenge is Alaska, but he fails and dies. I liked the way the story was written; it was not so much in chronological order as a progression of the people and events that influenced his last adventure and death. Upon first hearing of the story, a person might think that McCandless was a total nut, ill-prepared for an extended stay in the Alaskan wilderness. Krakauer was pretty good about presenting an objective view of the details while at the same time injecting his personal experience to give a perspective on what McCandless may have been thinking and experiencing during his adventures. I don’t think McCandles was a nut. He just made a couple of mistakes, and those, coupled with a little bit of bad luck resulted in his death.

I definitely recommend the book. It’s quite an easy read and a very good story.

I haven’t seen the movie yet but I just added it to my Netflix queue.

No comments: