Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Earthquake!

We were sitting in front of the tv, watching Sopranos, and having tacos for dinner, when an earthquake hit. While the earthquake was mild, we could obviously feel it and it lasted about 25 seconds. I immediately jumped up and ran to a doorway. I started to stress out because I imagined the house collapsing or their being a big fire and us trying to get the kitties out. I grew up with the real threat of earthquakes and all the scary dramas of earthquakes. So while it’s possible that a giant sinkhole might open up when an earthquake hits, it’s probably unlikely that I will fall in and get squished when the sinkhole closes back up.

Anyway, the husband, the kitties, and I are all safe. This was the first earthquake the husband experienced and it was kind of neat to share the moment with him. Our homework is to figure out what we should do in case of an earthquake…stand in a doorway, duck under a table, not quite sure which is the protocol nowadays.

Today was a long work day. I worked 10 hours to make up for two I had missed yesterday. I left work early yesterday to go to soccer practice and it started raining as soon as I got in the car. Since tomorrow is Halloween, practice is cancelled then too. So no practice at all this week. I am happy and sad.

On Monday I also taught my monthly computer class at the local senior center. The course was an introduction to email. So I basically set everyone up with email (my computer screen was projected onto a screen and they followed on their computers) and showed them a few things such as how to check and send email. Most people were pretty comfortable with the mouse and being on the internet, but I had one lady who worked really slow and we never finished getting her set up with an email address within the hour-long class.

Here are a few kitty pictures for your enjoyment.


When we got home a few days ago, Noodles was sitting on the couch in the sun. I think these pictures turned out cute. It's easy to take artsy pictures when you have good lighting and a great subject.




When we got home yesterday, Major was sitting on the chili plants. That's why they keep dying on us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kind of miss earthquakes (the harmless ones). Those are really nice photos!

I'd love to hear about how you got started teaching those computer classes.

Sarah said...

ah! earthquake! Glad to hear everyone managed okay, did the kitties even notice? such pretty kitty photos. I need to put some on our blog since Jay won't!

Cleaty said...

I'm glad you ladies like the pictures. Definitely post some on your site, Sarah.

Sumana...you miss earthquakes! That's crazy! Well, actually it's not. I know what you mean. I kind of like turbulence, as long as it doesn't mean the plane is going to fall out of the sky.

Aaron said...

As you see, Grapefruit Juice Diet is an interesting diet plan. It was in the 13th century when almonds were coated with sugar known then as confetti. What do you call two spiders that just got married? After ten minutes, 90% is lost. The pivotal dinner party I attended with her was given by the only man she ever introduced me to- her best friend, Michael.