Friday, September 7, 2007

Pre-Season Loss

So we lost our first, and only, practice game, 4-0. The game was actually a lot better than the score reflects. The first goal was an own-goal. At the half it was 1-0. In the second half, our strong goal keeper wanted to play the field, so we had another girl play goalie who has no experience in the position but we’ve been kind of training her to be goalie. So there you have it. Those are my excuses. Anyway, at practice this week, when I told the girls I wanted to talk about the game, one of them yelled out: “That was fun!” I was very surprised by this comment, since I’ve never had a fun soccer game in which we lost 4-0. But as my husband had pointed out earlier, the only thing that the girls really care about (and probably their parents too) is having fun and socializing. Well, I still think that if we end up losing all the games, no matter how fun they are, some people might not be happy. Including me.

We have our first official game this weekend. I am still excited!

3 comments:

Pablo said...

You know...I am just as competitive when it comes to soccer, but I have to agree with your husband. If they are having fun, then all is well. It doesn't mean you shouldn't still try and win games. But I think people play better when they enjoy the game. I still think they need to have a more intimidating name.

Anonymous said...

Claudia, this is Erick's girfriend and I just wanted to tell you that you are so right... It's not really all about winning.. I mean don't get me wrong it would be great to win, but with winning comes the challenges of facing a loss and having the ability to get back on your two feet and try again.

I just started playing soccer and we had our very first game yesterday and we lost, but it's ok we had fun playing...

Cleaty said...

That's so cool that you are playing. Are you getting Erick to play too? We used to get together the day after Thanksgiving and play. Just the cousins. We should do that again this year and you should join us. :)